Sunday, September 30, 2007

Sunday Cooking and meal planning for the week.

I've always been enthralled with the older people around me who could do magic in the kitchen. Their homes were always cozy and inviting. Unfortunately, most of those people passed away before I was old enough to truly appreciate it. Since I've been married, I've tried to live up to the memories of the people who've inspired me. It ain't easy. In addition to a full time job, I volunteer on Sunday, take a Pilates class on Tuesday, and a Bellydance class on Thursday. In between those times I end up with all sorts of obligations. I try to cook in advance as often as possible, and meal planning is invaluable. Sunday is usually the day I get the most bang for my buck, so to speak. So here's what I'm making Today!

3 loaves of bread. I use the recipe that came with my Mixer. I make 3 small loaves out of a recipe for 2 loaves, that way I can wrap and freeze for later usage.
Chicken stock - Use the stock for a soup later, and the chicken for dishes throughout the week.

Sunday - Chicken casserole (make two, freeze one for next week)
Monday - Chicken enchiladas
Tuesday - Shepherds pie, made and frozen last week.
Wednesday - Beef Strogonoff (Made with low fat sour cream/yogurt and wheat noodles)
Thursday - Shrimp w/ Thai chili sauce over Quinoa Pilaf
Friday - Steak w/ vegetables and mashed potatoes (Subject to change)
Saturday - Dinner Out

Chicken stock -
In a large stock pot, combine
4 lbs of chicken thighs
2 tblsp of boullion, or similar starter
3 tsp of Season Salt, 3 tsp pepper,
Sprig of parsley
a good dose of Worcestershire or Soy sauce (Which is optional, depending on your taste, really)
2 good size carrots, 2 stalks of celery, 1 small onion - Roughly chopped
Enough water to cover the whole shebang.

Bring to a boil for a minute or so, then drop to a simmer and cover with the lid slightly askew.
After one hour, remove chicken and place in a separate bowl, let sit about 20 minutes until cool enough to handle. (You're going to need two more bowls for this next part)
Grab your chicken, place it on a large cutting board near your pot. Start separating the meat from the bone. Toss the skin into one bowl, your meat in the other, and place your bones back into the pot. Simmer for one more hour. Strain through a fine seive, into a large container. If you have one with a narrow opening, that will make the next part easier.
Place container in the refrigerator until the fat rises to the top and solidifies. Skim all the fat off the top, and pour your fat free yummy broth into ziplock bags, or container of your choice. Freeze these for future use. You can use this as the base as all kinds of soups and recipes. You can place some of the chicken into the bags as well.

No comments: